Manchester City Case Study
BOLD NEW EXPANSION FOR MANCHESTER CITY FC
Manchester City Football Club was ready to kick it up a notch. City won the Premier League title in 2011-2012, having invested £200m in new players and were now well-positioned to raise the profile of the club. Their goal was to attract more corporate buyers and expand the reach of their base into new markets, including London. To get things rolling, they contacted Legends Global Planning and Global Sales teams to develop a clear roadmap for expansion and propel premium ticket sales and sponsorships.
The Legends Global Planning Team conducted a feasibility study to determine the potential support for a stadium expansion and enhanced premium seating and hospitality areas. The study results led to an Etihad Stadium expansion, which was completed by the start of the 2015-16 Premier League season. Next, the Global Sales stepped in to deliver:
- A strategic plan and timeline for seasonal sales campaigns
- A new sales center for selling newly created products
- The hiring and training of a new sales team for proactive outbound sales
Global Sales continues to drive the successful management and sales execution of the newly created premium seating areas.
Thanks to the research, planning and sales programming delivered by Global Planning and Global Sales, Manchester City FC achieved:
- An overall increase in sales and occupancy in premium seating
- 134% of budgeted seasonal sell-through rate for the new premium seating areas
- The sale of 2,300 new season tickets— a 94% sell-through rate in the new premium seating areas