Rio 2016 Summer Olympics Case Study
The Olympic Organizing Committee needed an Exclusive Retail Partner for both the 2016 Summer Olympic and Paralympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, who would be responsible for all merchandise operations during both sets of games.
After the Organizing Committee partnered with Legends International as the Exclusive Retail Partner, the team got to work planning and executing retail operations at 34 venues, in addition to a 40,000 square foot Superstore on Copacabana Beach – Rio’s largest ever pop-up retail unit.
Legends International delivered the following results for the Rio 2016 Olympics:
- In addition to the Superstore, there was a 44,000 square foot Megastore on the Olympic Park, which was the biggest in Olympic history, surpassing London 2012 Olympics
- Minimum royalty guarantee to the organising committee exceeded by more than 160%
- 120,000,000 Brazilian Real in sales in 31 days
- 3,000,000 articles of licensed product sold; 1,700 members of staff
- South America’s largest merchandising event for the continent’s biggest ever sporting spectacle
- Highest recorded average transaction time
- Average transaction value beating Glasgow and London and respectively
- Seven times quicker in ATT and two times greater in ATV that the corresponding venue(s) for the FIFA World Cup in Brazil = records sales and returns for an OC in Brazil
- Over 900 lines of merchandise styles created and sold